Pregnancy and motherhood open a gateway to the Myth-world! There is too much of information that is dumped on these new moms, most of which is nothing but myth.
Motherhood would be so much better and lesser of a worry if we didn’t have people burdening us with their belief system or with anecdotal advices.
I have been an exclusively breastfeeding mom for the first 6months of my child’s birth and I am still nursing him at 28months. This post is to bust a few of the myths that most new moms are confronted with.
Read on and do share this article with expecting and new moms.
Are you planning your child’s birthday?
Here is a post for you to streamline your planning.
Birthdays have never been so exciting before. Well, yes, I used to be excited about my birthdays, but never did I get into such strategic details and planning before, I guess no one does until they have a baby.
This reminds me of A’s first birthday celebration and sleepless nights I had before it. It was even worse than those exam jitters. The first birthday celebration was a big affair and I wanted to do it the green way, check out the link to my blog here
Here is a basic birthday checklist that I am following for A’s second birthday.
1. Guest list- your guest list is the first thing before you start thinking about any event. It will give you an idea of what kind of venue you can book, once your guest list is in place you can decide about the menu and head count. So, basically it is the first step. For kid’s birthday party it is important that you have an age wise list of kids and also list the adults who will be attending the party (your menu may differ for kids and adults or a common kid friendly menu)
From the guest list arrive at a number that will definitely attend the party, make this number your minimum guarantee for booking the venue.
2. Venue- for smaller numbers and bigger houses a house party is the best and most economical way to celebrate. However, there are good options available now for birthday parties. From Quick Service Restaurants(QSRs) to banquets to play areas all are tapping birthday party market. Decide what fits your bill and book weeks in advance.
3. Invite- Create an invite that talks about the birthday theme, the invite should have following details
Date, Time, Venue, RSVP contact and any other note that you may want to include regarding theme etc.
4. Theme – Decide onto theme if any, so that you can work out other things like return gift, decor, outfits etc based on the theme.
5. Return gift- Return gifts or party favours have become like a mandate for kids’ birthday parties. I can’t forget how I used to wait to receive mine as a kid. Base the return gift on the theme and also keep in mind the age of the child you are giving it to.
Also consider the packaging, it should be attractive and easy to carry. Ensure what you are gifting is secured in the package.
6. Menu to be finalised- menu would depend on the time of the party. Kid’s love junk, parents love junk too, but parents hate feeding junk to their kids. Avoid keeping junk food in the menu.
7. Birthday Cake- This post has taken me years back, how magical was the moment when mom put the big colorful cake in front with fancy candles; all the eyes focussed on the bday kid and the cameras flashing khachaak!! Somethings never change and why should they?
The only change is that there are better options available now offering fancier cakes and making our jobs tougher.
Try choosing the patisserie that you or your friends have tried and tested(tasted) before.
1 kg cake can suffice for 8-12 people. Before finalising the size, keep in mind other desserts that you have in the menu and the shape of the cake.
8. Party Games, prizes and props- Party Games/ entertainment is life of any party, choose games as per the age of invitees. Try to include games that all can participate in and have prizes that would suit all. Keep a few extra prizes just in case there is a kid who asks for a prize or there is a tie between two winners.
Keep hats, masks etc or any other prop to go with your birthday theme, keep those handy for all to pick.
9. Photographer- Be it a house party or a party elsewhere someone needs to capture your precious moments. Have one person dedicated for it. It could be a friend/ relative or a professional photographer.
10. Birthday kid dress and outfits for others in the family- well, this one is important but not as much as other points above. Choose a comfortable outfit for your child and carry an extra pair ( If the party is being organised away from home).
Easy isn’t it? Well, no. This is just a checklist, doing all or even a few of the above will take your time, efforts and of course money; but will also give you lots of precious smiles, laughter & memories in return.
Happy planning and executing. Do share your birthday party planning tips in the comments.
The New Year is right here with lots of excitement, hopes and new beginnings, to welcome the coming year with swag and style, we have come together to bring plethora of fashion inspiration in this “Fashion-a-thon” a fashion blog-train initiative by Ruchie of Wigglingpen.
Initially, I hand washed all the baby clothes, but I have found machine wash better than hand washing. I use regular detergent (Tide/surf excel/Ariel) and they seem to do pretty good job for me. You could also give a try to the eco-friendly detergents that are available in the market. Conditioners and fabric softeners are a big No-No for CDs, as they tend to leave a non-absorbent coat on the fabric, which may affect the absorbency of the diaper.
Step Three: Fold the front part towards inside, and keep rolling until it becomes compact like the picture below (in step 4).
Stripping the Cloth Diapers
Other things that have been great aids in my CDing journey so far are:-
1. A Diaper Pail
2. Eco-friendly CD liners
3. Wet Bag
That’s it from me.