We have all read the labels of most popular household cleaners. They all come with a warning “Hazardous, keep away from children and animals”; which clearly means they may clean your house but are not safe for you. At a macro level these commercial cleaners are a big environmental hazard too, slowly poisoning our lakes, rivers and soil. The best thing is to switch to Bio enzyme!
It was 5 years ago that I first heard of bio enzyme and regretting that it took me so long to try my first batch of this magical enzyme.
If you like the idea of low or zero waste, you may find my post on home composting interesting too.
Bio enzymes are natural cleaners made from fruit peels, preferably citrus fruits. Most people use orange and lemon peels for making BE for cleaning, other peels like banana etc. can be used to make plant food/ fertilizer.
A bio enzyme as mentioned earlier is a natural multipurpose cleaner. You can use bio enzyme to clean your bathroom sink, W.C. You can use bio-enzyme for mopping too
- As floor cleaner- Add 50ml of Bio Enzyme to your bucket of water.
- As Bathroom tiles/ sink cleaner- Spray Bio enzyme and leave it for 20-30 minutes and then scrub the areas.
- Laundry and dishes- Add soap nut liquid and use your Bio Enzyme liquid to clean dishes, laundry
- Plant fertilizer- Diluted Bio Enzyme can also be used as liquid fertilizer for plants, the ones made from banana and other peels. I have only made citrus fruit BE; hence I will only be talking about that in this post.
- Vegeatbles and toy disinfectant- These days there are several vegge washes and toys disinfectants, you can use BE to clean your vegetables/fruits. Make water and BE solution and dip your vegetables for 10-15 minutes, wash with regular water and then dry before storing.
The used Bio Enzymes’ discharge is entirely safe, in fact favorable to the environment as it carries micronutrients to soil and water.
How to make your own multi-purpose cleaner at home?
You will need – 1:3:10 ratio of Jaggery: Citrus peels: water
Jaggery (Gud) – 1 portion
Citrus peels – 3 portions (Orange, Sweet lime, Lemon)
You can also use rotten fruits (whole)
Water – 10 portions, use a 2 liter airtight plastic Jar
1/4th teaspoon or pinch dry yeast
- Put everything together in a wide mouthed plastic container.
- Leave it to ferment in cool dry space. Do not expose to direct sunlight.
- If using yeast, your BE will be ready in 20 days to 1 months’ time. Without yeast, Bio Enzyme will take up to 3 months.
So, when life gives you lemons and oranges, keep all the peels for your Bio Enzyme!!
Follow me on facebook, Instagram as I keep sharing zero waste experiments and victories, our daily activities and much more on the feed and on our stories.
Checkout this cute and interesting blog by Mummasaurus , you will relate to it if you are a parent.
Hosted By : Prisha Lalwani Mummasaurus.com