Ayurveda is an ancient Indian system of medicine, which is in practice from more than 5000 years. It is a holistic system of medicine which includes mind-body-spirit approach in healing the person. The holistic concepts do not try to fix the body but instead help super-charge the body’s inbuilt healing capacity. In this article we will share simple tips that can help in improving immunity for covid-19.
Owing to its effectiveness and medical significance, now the principles and the concept of Ayurveda are being used in the modern world. It helps treat different kinds of chronic diseases and even at this time when the world is dealing with this unprecedented crisis in the form of Covid-19, Ayurveda can prove to be a boon for mankind.
Ever since the origin of the new strain of Corona virus, we have come to know a lot about it; we now know the symptoms, the complications, yet we have not been successful in finding out an effective treatment to curb its outbreak. We can prevent ourselves from getting infected by simply following simple rules like wearing a mask, practising proper social distancing and following good hand hygiene.
Apart from this, your body’s natural immune system also plays a major role in keeping us safe from this fatal virus. The best way to boost your immunity is by eating healthy food and following a good lifestyle habit.
Prevention is always better than cure. As there is no medicine or vaccination for COVID-19 yet, the best thing at the moment is to take preventive measures which boost our immunity. Ayurveda’s extensive knowledge has always been based on preventive care. Following some home made concoctions or making slight changes to our daily routines and eating habits can help us keep Covid-19 at bay. Sharing below an immunity booster Ayurvedic drink that you can add to your diet for strengthening your natural defence system.
You may like my other article on homeopathy, homeopathy for children
The Ministry of AYUSH has also recommended the following self-care guidelines as preventive measures and boosting immunity. These are all supported by Ayurvedic literature and scientific publications.
Below are the recommended Measures:
Some general Measures
- Drinking warm water.
- Practice Pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes everyday.
- Include spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) and Lahsun (Garlic)in daily cooking.
Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measures
- Take Chyavanprash in the morning. Diabetics should take sugar free Chyavanprash.
- Drink kadha made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Kalimirch (Black pepper), Sonth (Dry Ginger) and Munakka (Raisin) – once or twice a day. Add jaggery/honey and / or fresh lemon juice as per your taste.
- Have Golden Milk everyday once or twice- Half tea spoon Haldi (turmeric) powder in a glass of hot milk
Other Ayurvedic Procedures
- Application of oil ( coconut/musturd/sesame/ghee) in both the nostrils can help in clearing of nose.
- Steam inhalation with fresh Pudina (Mint) leaves, camphor (kapoor) or Ajwain (Caraway seeds)
- Take cloves and dry ginger powder with jaggery or honey twice or thrice a day.
Details on Kadha, an Ayurvedic immunity-boosting drink quite popular in different forms in Indian homes.
Below recipe yields 1 serving
1 tbsp green cardamom powder
1 tbsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp dried ginger powder
1 tbsp black pepper powder
3 cups water
Honey – optional to taste, to be added at the end while drinking.
In a pot, add all the ingredients and boil, keep boiling till it reduces to half.
This article was written with support and contribution of Dr. Sonali Saigaonkar
Dr.Sonali Saigaonkar is a practicing Clinical Aesthetic Cosmetologist Trichologist and Nutritionist as well as alternative medicine,since past 13 years. As she has cured many patients with alternative medicine she firmly believes that during current times the best thing is to up our immunity naturally.