baby, names, new born

Trending Baby names

“Call him Voldemort, Harry. Always use proper names for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.”
– J.K. Rowling, HP
That’s the power of names!
Well, I have a few interesting stories about names. My husband’s name is Parul and in India Parul is a name for girls. My mother-in-law often narrated the story behind his name, how an influential friend visited them when he was born and suggested this name. It wasn’t until he went to school that they realized, there were many girls called Parul and he was the only boy with that name.
The first thing that I asked on meeting him for the first time was about his name. Anyway, now it doesn’t matter, only once in a while people call me Parul ma’am or Ms. Parul and I have to correct them, saying that I am Rashmi and Parul is my husbandIn todays virtual world impressions are created by name and pictures that one puts up on social media. A lot of the times our name becomes our first introduction, much before we have even had a real meeting. It is therefore necessary that we give much thought to the names that we choose for our kids. Also choosing wisely becomes important as the name that we give to our kids talks about us. I am sure one doesn’t want to appear frivolous or old fashioned by giving a meaningless or common name to their child.

I have a close friend called “Pupul”, in college she instantly became famous because of her cute sounding unique name, when rest of us had common names like Neha, Rashmi, Pallavi, Priyanka “a Pupul” did stand out! She totally despises her parents for that name, however, I have high regards for them for choosing such a different, meaningful name way back then.
Choosing the right name is mostly one of the most difficult and baffling tasks that confronts the new or to be parents. Esp. in countries like India where the gender remains a surprise till the end. Name is one thing that remains with you forever unless you hate your name so much that you decide to get it changed.
I had started looking for baby names and preparing a list just when I struck my 3rd trimester. However, it took my husband less than a few minutes to zero down on the name for our boy, because the exhaustive list that I had prepared for over 3 months had all baby girls’ names and only a few boy names which made our job easier.
Here I have compiled a list of baby names for boys and girls that I found new, unique and sweet sounding; well that’s my criteria for choosing a name. i have a list of trending names for boys and gi

Name for baby boys

Yrishi- Surprising
Yogine- Saint, another name for lord Hanuman
Yuvaan Youthful
Yashmit- Famous
Yushaan- Mountain
Z
Zane- Gift from God (Hebrew name)
Ziaan- Peace
Zehaan- Brightness
Here i have a list of trending na

Name for baby girls

N
Nayasa Affable, new beginning
Nirvi — bliss
P
Pariha – A land of fairies
Paanvi- God, Festival
Parashvi- A touchstone that turns iron into gold
S
Sahiti- literature
Samrata – Wealthy, blessed
Sashmita- Ever smiling
Saraa- Pure
Saarya- Pious woman
Saanvi- Goddess Lakshmi
Sehaj -comfort
Sauraa celestial
Seerat- Innate nature/ Quality
Shaarvina Goddess durga
R
Reha — star in Arabic
Rheaa- a good hearted person
Ruhaani- Soulful
Varalika goddess durga
Z
Zeniaa- Welcoming
Zihvaah- God
Ziaah- Enlightened
Zuhaa- The morning star
While deciding a name we must also consider the pronunciation, an easy to pronounce name has less scope of being spoilt or tweaked by mispronunciation and fewer chances of being understood as something else.
In today’s world while we would like our child to have a name close to our roots we must also keep in mind that the child will grow up and go places, so the name that we give must be simple to understand by people of other nationalities too.

Facebook Comments

27 Comments

Anubhuti Seth

September 14, 2017

Nice collection ..you can even add my name to the list..isn't it unique 😉

Anjali Sengar

September 14, 2017

I kept my baby name Aarav but it's seems to be very common these day.. Now I am considering Anagh, what you say babe?

Jayshree Bhagat

September 14, 2017

Thnx for this… Will surely share this with all my friends who will welcome their baby soon

notjustmommying

September 14, 2017

True.. aarav though a nice name has become too common. Anagh is a nice name.

notjustmommying

September 14, 2017

I likr your name. This list has only a limited number. Definitely missing many names. 🙂

High On Gloss

September 14, 2017

Haha, even my son's name is Aarav

High On Gloss

September 14, 2017

Loved all the names. new mommy and daddy always on lookout for beautiful baby names.

Deepika Verma - Makeupmagique

September 15, 2017

I totally believe in the power of names… loved your post and name suggestions

Pallavi

September 15, 2017

A helpful blog 😊

Papri Ganguly

September 15, 2017

Whoa, this post is blessing for new parents. I wish your post would live when i was expecting.

Snigdha Prusti

September 15, 2017

Wow, so many beautiful and meaningful names… I am bookmarking this post for future and you can understand why….

Mrinal Kiran

September 15, 2017

My name is Mrinal which is a boys name in bengal! I have always been made fun of because of this 😕 seriously choosing unique but cute names for kids is very important today.. nice post

Isheeria's Healing Circles

September 15, 2017

A great list! I haven't heard any of these names. You are right, an easy to pronounce name is an excellent tip! My name has been stretched, chopped, consonant and vowel sounds added and deleted at the whims of the speakers 😬☺️☺️

RakhiParsai

September 17, 2017

Wow such an amazing and exhaustive list. Will suggest this to my brother who has been blessed with a baby recently.

ayisharu

September 18, 2017

Wow! You surely listed a lot of baby names that are all meaningful, too.
    I'm from the Philippines and every name here sounds new to me except for Zane and Trisha.
    I agree with choosing a name that's easy to pronounce 🙂 I have that mistake for my first child (her name's first syllable is spelled "Jxe" and I get asked every time on how to pronounce it.

Haajra Fareen

September 18, 2017

Wow. So many baby names. I love Zane and Nabhya.

Ophira B

September 18, 2017

What a unique list of names! Will share with my pregnant friend for sure.

mylittlemuffin

September 18, 2017

Wowow you have a wonderful list that would come handy for all new moms and dads. Great post.

Khushboo

September 18, 2017

Such a great compilation.. where were you 11 months ago when I was searching for names for my baby girl 🙂 gonna save this for later 🙂

The Novice Soul

September 18, 2017

This is an interesting story you have shared through this post. Thanks for the names list.

Aesha Shah

September 18, 2017

I understand you completely. My dad decided to spell my name differently so no one pronounces my name correctly …. I am either Isha or Ayesha but never Esha , just because my dad put an 'A' before E in my name.
    Your list of names is good, I shall share with few of my expectant friends,

Manveen Dua

September 18, 2017

I see my sons' name in the list and he's 7 years old! We've been trending long 🙂

Neha Sharma

September 19, 2017

Selecting and finalising baby name was quite a task for us, during my pregnancy last month I caught on the task of shortlisting baby names but to my surprise none of the boy names strike me and I ended up creating a list of baby girl's name. Just imagine we were blessed with a baby boy and had no name for him. Thanks to my hubby who is quite good in giving nicknames, finalised on Nemit which is combination of Neha and Sumit and everybody loves it. Though we do not have a meaning for this name. Loved the list of names you shared, I am saving it. Thanks.

ShubhsK

September 19, 2017

We started thinking of names as soon as we found out I'm pregnant. But we didn't share with anyone. We told the parents also that when baby is here, you will know the name because we were very sure about what we wanted to name her… lol!

Deepa

September 19, 2017

Haha..In india it is really confusing and hard to guess sometimes if its girls name or boys name. That's a very helpful list for new moms.

Neha Jain

September 20, 2017

Such a nice list of some modern names for babies. Thanks for this as I would be needing it in a few months. 🙂

Tina Basu

September 20, 2017

My grandmother's name was Parimal which is a male name in general terms. Names are very important according to me. This is a nice list of names.